Historic Resource Assessments

HISTORIC RESOURCE ASSESSMENTS

Jean prepares Historic Resource Assessments, which are reports that evaluate a building’s historic and architectural significance. Such studies are typically undertaken on behalf of the property owner, upon request by a local historic preservation commission, due to the application for a permit to demolish or alter a historic building. In some municipalities, a finding of significance results in a delay of the permit’s issuance with the intent that the property owner may find other alternatives. If the house is subsequently razed after the period of delay has passed, the Assessment is placed on file at the local historical society and serves as documentation of that resource.

Historic Resource Assessments typically include biographies of each owner; a description of the house and its alterations; an essay on the architect; an examination of the house’s architectural style in relation to similar examples in the neighborhood; and an evaluation of historic and architectural significance. In cases involving a demolition permit request, Jean also evaluates the architectural impact of such an action on the surrounding neighborhood. Research is undertaken at a variety of repositories that include the Recorder of Deed’s Office, the local historical society, and the local library. Jean also takes exterior and interior photos of the house, which are included in the report, as are photos of other houses in the vicinity, historic images, and copies of building permits and Sanborn Fire Insurance maps.

Jean authored Historic Resource Assessments for the houses listed below, which together represented a variety of styles, including Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, French Eclectic, Craftsman, Italian Renaissance, Spanish Mediterranean, and Modernistic Ranch.

Winnetka

  • F. Thomas Morris House at 1170 Westmoor Road (1926; Ralph E. Stoetzel)
  • Joseph Gay House, 818 Bryant Ave. (1903)
  • Frank O. Magie House, 735 Sheridan Rd. (1904; Joseph Llewellyn)
  • Percy Andreae House, 635 Blackthorn Rd. (1920; L.G. Hallberg, Jr.)
  • Mellen Martin House, 630 Rosewood Ave. (1924; Russell Walcott)
  • Lafayette Fisher House, 1035 Sheridan Road (1956, Henry L. Newhouse II)
  • Forest Lowrey House, 560 Oak Street (1937; Raymond F. Houlihan)
  • Thomas Bassett House, 461 Maple Ave. (ca. 1861 with later additions)
  • Dudley Cates House, 1190 Westmoor Road (1928; Edwin H. Clark)
  • Ernest Clark House, 526 Sunset Road (ca. 1926)
  • George A. Thorne House, 391 Sheridan Road (1901; George L. Harvey)
  • Rudolf Pabst House at 200 DeWindt Road (1936; White & Weber)
  • William Remy House at 300 Sunset Road (1920; Paul F. Olsen)

Kenilworth

  • Charles Olson, Jr. House, 233 Sheridan Rd. (1957; Jerome Cerny)
  • Robert Hurlburt House, 310 Raleigh Rd. (1924; G.E. Pearson)

Lake Forest

  • Burton Carlson House at 531 E. Woodland Road (1959; Anton E. Kampf)
  • Gilbert E. Porter III House at 650 Lake Road (1926; Frazier, Blouke and Hubbard)